Hello, and welcome to your practice!
We are so happy you’ve made this choice for self-care. Yoga is a system that works on every level of the human being, to achieve optimal health and integration of the body, mind and spirit. The word “yoga” itself means integration, or union. Whether you came here to find relief from pain, learn to relax, or to feel a stronger sense of community, know that you are here for all the right reasons, and your timing is perfect. Be at ease and prepare to enjoy this new and special experience.
Watch the video below to find out what to expect for your first visit!
To help your first yoga experience flow as smoothly and blissfully as possible, we would like to offer you a few guidelines about how to approach yoga classes in general, and classes at Asheville Community Yoga in particular.
- Come to a class suitable for beginners. Here is a list of our scheduled classes that are particularly recommended for those practicing yoga for the very first time:
9:30-10:45am Gentle Flow with Marilyn
9:30-10:30am Postnatal Yoga (bring your baby!) with Izzy Adair
11:45-12:45pm Yoga for Seniors with Wendy
12:00-1:00pm Qigong for Healing with Mary J.
2:45-3:45pm Prenatal Yoga with Anastasia
5:15-6:15pm Gentle Flow with Lauren
5:30-6:30pm Qigong with Allen
7:00-8:00pm Vinyasa Flow with Bridget
8:00-9:00pm Gentle Yoga with Brannan
8:15-9:15pm Yoga Nidra with Jean Marie
9:30-10:30am Gentle Flow with Hanna
10:30-11:45am Prenatal with Anastasia
10:45-11:45am Gentle Flow with Emily
12:15-1:15pm Gentle Flow with Dana
2:45-3:30pm Anxiety Releasing Yoga with Elena
5:15-6:15pm Gentle Flow with Sonya
6:30-7:15pm Meditation with Ramesh
7:30-8:30pm Mindful Flow with Katie
8:00-9:00pm Gentle Yoga with Miche
9:30-10:45am Gentle Yoga with Laura
10:00-11:00am Yoga for Seniors with Sylvia
12:15-1:15pm Gentle Yoga with Amber
12:15-1:15pm Prenatal with Anastasia
1:30-2:30pm Alexander Technique with Michele
2:15-3:30pm Gentle Yoga with Elena
4:00-5:00pm Gentle Kundalini Yoga with Martha
5:15-6:15pm Gentle Flow with Audrey
6:00-7:00pm Yoga for Veterans with Pete
7:30-8:30pm Yoga en Español with Christian
8:00-9:00pm Gentle Yoga with Jessica
8:00-9:00am Jin Shin Jyutsu with Beth M.
9:30-10:45am Gentle Flow with Amber
10:00-11:00am Yoga for Seniors with Jim
12:15-1:15pm Gentle Flow with Dana
2:15-3:15pm Gentle Flow with Sylvia
2:30-3:30pm Yoga for a Healthy Spine with Wendy
3:30-4:30pm Restorative Yoga and Yoga Nidra with Mary P.
4:00-5:00pm Qigong & Tai Chi Basics with Susan
5:15-6:15pm Gentle Flow with Lily
5:30-6:30pm Prenatal Yoga with Anastasia
8:00-9:00pm Gentle Yoga with Eduardo (Eddie)
9:00-10:00am Qigong with Mary
9:30-10:45am Gentle Flow with Wendy
10:15-11:00am Chair Yoga with Darleen (Jim Castle)
11:00-12:00pm Prenatal Yoga with Anastasia
11:15-12:00pm Mindfulness Now: Meditation for All Moments with Joshua
12:15-1:15pm Gentle Flow with Jill
2:00-3:00pm Integrative Yoga for Seniors with Darleen (Wendy Lantis)
4:00-5:15pm Restorative Yoga with Didgeridoo Meditation with Robin & Corey & Linda
- Come early. On your first visit, please plan to arrive 15 minutes before the scheduled beginning of class. This is to ensure that you have ample time to sign in, create a new student profile, and orient yourself to our three beautiful studio spaces, as well as our cafe and healing arts rooms.
- Introduce yourself! When you enter the studio you will be greeted by a friendly staff member who is delighted to see you, eager to show you around and answer any questions you may have about the studio or your yoga practice.
- Park mindfully, especially during our extremely busy evening and weekend classes. Please park in the large gravel lot behind the studio itself and walk down the designated walkway, not through the driveway. The paved lot adjacent to the studio is reserved for Teachers, Staff, and those with special needs. Please reserve those spots for those people only.
- Wear appropriate clothing. This means anything that is comfortable enough to allow full range of movement of all of the limbs. Shoes will be removed and left in the cubbies you will find upon entry to each studio. These are provided for your personal belongings. Be sure to turn off your cell phones before entering the building to avoid any distractions for you or others.
- Please come free of any strong scents, including perfumes, smoke, and body odor. These smells can be disturbing to fellow yogis.
- Please do not come to class when you are sick or have a cold. An essential part of our practice is self-care. Stay home and get well, so you can be fully engaged in your practice when you come to classes.
- Please refrain from eating for at least 2 hours before class. An overly full stomach can make the practice uncomfortable and less effective.
- Try different classes. Yoga is vast, and each style and teacher is unique. Sometimes it can take some exploration to discover the styles and teachers that feel suited especially to your individual body and personality type. We also offer many other options: Qigong, Tai Chi, Qoya, and Meditation.
- Relax! You are in a safe space. Let go of expectations and judgment. Let go of what you think you can do, and be ready to surprise yourself with what you are actually able to do! Know that whatever level you are at is just right. Our teachers will meet you where you are.
- If possible, give yourself a bit of time after class, so that you are not rushing off and immediately to the next thing. Yoga is a powerful practice, and you may need a few minutes to re-adjust to the outside world, collect your belongings, and let the effects of your practice sink in. Feel free to shop at our pre-loved clothing store, Zen & Now, or grab a healthy bite to eat and relax for a while before heading back out into the world.
- Once again, welcome to your yoga practice. We are honored that you chose to share your first practice with us, and hope that this is the beginning of an amazing journey. Namaste!(This is a Sanskrit word meaning “The light within me honors and recognizes the light within you.”)