Hello, and welcome to your yoga practice!
It’s highly likely that your life is about to be transformed. Yoga is a healing practice with ancient roots that is very much alive, thriving and evolving in the here and now. It is a system that works on every level of the human being, to achieve optimal health and integration of the body, mind and spirit. The word “yoga” itself means integration, or union. Whether you came here to find relief from pain, learn to relax, or to find enlightenment, know that you are here for all the right reasons, and your timing is perfect. You are about to become a part of something big!
Watch the video below to find out what to expect for your first visit!
To help your first yoga experience flow as smoothly and blissfully as possible, we would like to offer you a few guidelines about how to approach yoga classes in general, and classes at Asheville Community Yoga in particular.
- Come to a class suitable for beginners. Here is a list of our scheduled classes that are particularly recommended for those practicing yoga for the very first time:
9:30-11:00am Gentle Flow with Marilyn
11:45-12:45pm Yoga for Seniors with Wendy
12:00-1:00pm Qigong for Healing with Mary J.
1:15-2:00pm Beginner Yoga with Britt
5:15-6:15pm Gentle Flow with Lauren
7:00-8:15pm Align & Flow with Bridget
5:30-6:30pm Qigong with Allen
8:00-9:00pm Gentle Yoga with Jill
9:30-10:30am Gentle Flow with Hanna
10:45-11:45am Gentle Flow with Vinita
12:15-1:15pm Gentle Flow with Mary P.
3:00-3:45pm Anxiety Releasing Yoga with Elena
4:00-5:15pm Yin Yoga with Jeri
7:15-7:45pm Meditation with Adeline
8:00-9:00pm Gentle Yoga with Adeline
9:30-10:45am Gentle Yoga with Laura
10:00-11:00am Yoga for Seniors with Robert
12:15-1:15pm Gentle Yoga with Amber
12:15-1:15pm Prenatal with Anastasia
2:15-3:30pm Gentle Yoga with Elena
5:15-6:15pm Gentle Flow with Kim
7:30-8:30pm Mindful Flow with Katie
8:00-9:00pm Gentle Yoga with Jam
9:30-10:45am Gentle Flow with Amber
12:15-1:15pm Gentle Flow with Meredith
2:30-3:35pm Restorative Back Care with Wendy
4:00-5:00pm Qigong & Tai Chi Basics with Liz R.
5:15-6:15pm Gentle Flow with Jodie
8:00-9:00pm Gentle Yoga with Eduardo
9:00-10:00am Qigong with Mary
9:30-10:45am Gentle Flow with Wendy
10:15-11:00am Chair Yoga with Darleen
12:15-1:15pm Gentle Flow with Jill
2:00-3:00pm Integrative Yoga for Seniors with Darleen
2:15-3:30pm Yin Yoga with Jodie
4:00-5:15pm Restorative Yoga with Didgeridoo Meditation with Robin & Corey
- Come early. On your first visit, please plan to arrive 15 minutes before the scheduled beginning of class. This is to insure that you have ample time to sign in, create a new student profile, and orient yourself to our studio.
- Introduce yourself! When you enter the studio you will be greeted by a friendly staff member who is delighted to see you, eager to show you around and answer any questions you may have about the studio or yoga practice.
- Park mindfully, especially during our extremely busy evening and weekend classes. Please park in the new, large gravel lot behind the studio itself and walk down the designated walkway, not through the driveway. The paved lot adjacent to the studio is reserved for Teachers, Staff, and those with special needs. Please reserve those spots for those people only.
- Wear appropriate clothing. This means anything that is comfortable enough to allow full range of movement of all of the limbs. Shoes will be removed and left in the cubbies you will find upon entry to the studio, which are provided for your personal belongings.
- Please come free of any strong scents, including perfumes, smoke, and body odor. These smells can be disturbing to fellow yogis.
- Please do not come to class when you are sick or have a cold. An essential part of our practice is self-care. Stay home and get well, so you can be fully engaged in your practice when you come to classes.
- Please refrain from eating for at least 2 hours before class. An overly full stomach can make the practice uncomfortable and less effective.
- Try different classes. Yoga is vast, and each style and teacher is unique. Sometimes it can take some exploration to discover the styles and teachers that feel suited especially to your individual body and personality type.
- Relax! You are in a safe space. Let go of expectations and judgment. Let go of what you think you can do, and be ready to surprise yourself with what you are actually able to do! Know that whatever level you are at is just right. Our teachers will meet you where you are.
- If possible, give yourself a bit of time after class, so that you are not rushing off and immediately to the next thing. Yoga is a powerful practice, and you may need a few minutes to re-adjust to the outside world, collect your belongings, and let the effects of your practice sink in.Once again, welcome to your yoga practice. We are honored that you chose to share your first practice with us, and hope that this is the beginning of an amazing journey.Namaste!(This is a Sanskrit word meaning “The divinity within me salutes the divinity within you.”)